I’m something of a Christian music junkie — liking everything from Tal & Acacia to Disciple. Last year was a good year for Christian music, especially since it was the first year I used Spotify to listen to all of it. If you’ve never used Spotify, I highly suggest leaving this post immediately and checking it out (please come back eventually, of course, after you’ve fully soaked up the awesomeness of Spotify!).
Here’s a list of my favorite albums of 2014, in no particular order. Try them out with your new Spotify!
5. The Art of Celebration by Rend Collective. Rend Collective has such a unique sound that never fails to get my head nodding and feet tapping no matter where I am. The group talked about the ideas behind The Art of Celebration here.
4. Commodity by Remedy Drive. I heard Remedy Drive for the first time last year and they impressed me — not only as musicians — but as people following hard after the heart of God. David Zach, the lead vocalist of the group, shared his passion during the concert for freeing those enslaved in sex trafficking. The groups’ music and story calls us as Christians to action in the world around us.
3. About a Mile by About a Mile. I discovered this group at a Christian music festival last summer and loved their song “Satisfied.” Since then I’ve bought their album and enjoy listening to it on the long drives home from college. Here is a lovely picture of myself and my sister meeting them last year. Yes, they are as awesome as they look.
2. Cathedrals by Tenth Avenue North. Tenth Avenue North is one of my most favorite bands of all time. Their rock-solid lyrics and dependable music style come through in every album they produce. My favorites from this album are “Cathedrals,” “No Man is an Island,” and “We Won’t Numb the Pain.”
1. Run Wild. Live Free. Love Strong. by for KING & COUNTRY. This group has everything going for them — from compelling drum rhythms to their Australian accents. Their new album is full of fresh, compelling songs that I’ve enjoyed listening to over and over again.
This year I’m excited for all the new music that will be coming out, especially TobyMac’s new single “Beyond Me” that’s being released tomorrow!
What new music did you enjoy listening to in 2014 and what are you looking forward to in 2015?